13 December 2007

Visual thinking podcast


Tony Karrer is the CEO of TechEmpower, an E-Learning development company, and author of the E-Learning Technology blog.

Last Friday Tony expressed some skepticism about the role of visual thinking in e-learning on his blog, which started an interesting discussion. A bunch of people weighed in on visual thinking's benefits, including me.

I love the way Tony expressed his thoughts on his blog. He laid out his thoughts and asked the community to respond. Too many people, in a desire to be polite or not make waves, hold back their thoughts. I think that's a mistake. If you keep your concerns to yourself you don't give people a chance to help you understand -- in effect you close yourself off to learning.

By revealing his concerns Tony demonstrated that he is a true learner and opened a tremendously valuable conversation.

Next week Tony and I will enter into a podcast conversation about e-learning and visual thinking. I am really looking forward to speaking with Tony and hope you will listen in to this live podcast.

We'll be talking next Thursday, December 20, from 11am to noon EST. You can register for the podcast here.

Meanwhile, Tony and I are collecting any questions you have or ideas you'd like to see us cover in our conversation. So... are you skeptical about the power of visual thinking? Do you have questions about how it works, why it works, whether it works?

Or maybe you have friends or co-workers who have asked you questions about visual thinking that you found it difficult to answer.

Please share your thoughts and questions here, and I will try to work them into the conversation. I hope you will join us!

Keep in touch! Sign up to get updates and occasional emails from me.

6 comments:

Menelaos Gkikas said...

Informational wealth is always a dream!

Anonymous said...

I am in the e-learning industry and had to convince my boss/department how visual thinking IS relevant--so I'm quite interested in this conversation.

Unknown said...

Excellent! Please tune in.

guns n brenner said...

I really think visual thinking is best taught face to face. I have struggled with books and cases, since I was not involved in the "insight" or connection moment - or how you would like to call it. The spark did not catch on, it was rather stale.
E-learning should be advanced to books, but still I would doubt it worked to utilize Viz Thinking to this medium. I am not speaking about visuals, description and interactive figures, though.

Unknown said...

I agree, face-to-face is the best way to learn. I think most would agree to this.

I think the value of e-learning and other kinds of remote learning comes down to economics -- it's simply cheaper.

Menelaos Gkikas said...

So this is Merry Christmas!