10 March 2006

How do you top the best-selling video game of all time?

Will Wright created the best-selling video games Sim City and The Sims.

Both games are expressions of Wright's interest in simulation and user-created virtual environments and societies. The Sims is the best-selling video game of all time.

How do you top something like that?

Wright spoke at the 2005 Game Developers' conference about his new game, Spore.

The new game is partly inspired by Charles and Ray Eames' Powers of 10, a landmark 1977 film that explored the nature of exponential relationships and the human environment. Players start with a microscopic organism and "play god," developing higher and higher life forms, moving upward in the food chain to develop societies and eventually entire worlds.

Wright is a visionary and his 35-minute presentation is worth a look.

Keep in touch! Sign up to get updates and occasional emails from me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My son (16 1/2) showed this to me last night. He was enthralled and awestruck. I have e-mailed your "post" to him so he can check out the "Powers of 10" part. Although not a gamer, I was taken by the vision myself.