23 August 2005

Classrooms are passe

My friend Jay Cross is working on a book about “informal learning.”

His point is that most of the learning we do as adults is self-directed and happens outside the context of classes and classrooms. Nevertheless, companies spend most of their money on “formal learning” – Jay thinks if they spent more of this money enabling the informal learning process they would get more bang for their buck. I tend to agree.

Jay was recently rated the number 2 eLearning guru in America by Epic Group plc. He gave a presentation recently that I found fascinating. It takes 24 minutes to watch it but it’s completely worth it.

Jay is looking for case studies of how informal learning works in practice. If you have one I am sure he would love to hear from you.

Keep in touch! Sign up to get updates and occasional emails from me.

No comments: